My Favorite Egg Sandwich
(If you just want the Two Egg Sandwich recipe and not the story skip to the end)
My earliest memories as a child involve me standing in a chair at the stove with either my mother or grandmother cooking eggs for breakfast. While I don’t think I was making egg sandwiches back then I do think that early training prepared me to match opportunity with necessity when the time came.
Late One Night
My wife and I had been dating a few months. One night we were hungry and all I had was eggs, bread, butter, cheese, lunch meat and various condiments. I thought about a sandwich. I thought maybe eggs and toast. But I knew I wanted to do something a little more special. I wanted to impress her.
How About an Egg Sandwich?
The look on her face was skeptical, but she agreed. Months later, after we had professed our love for one another, I asked her why she loved me. She said it was because I’d made her Egg Sandwiches that night. If that’s not the best endorsement for an egg sandwich I don’t know what is!
Two Egg Sandwich Recipe
- 2 Large Eggs (Fresh is best)
- 2 Slices Bread (Whole Grain Hearty)
- 2 TBSP Real Butter
- 2 Slices Shaved Ham (or any meat you like, or leave it off)
- 1 Slice Cheese. We like Pepper Jack or Smoked Cheddar but you can use whatever cheese you like.
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat 1 TBSP butter in the skillet on medium heat until melted and warm but do not scorch.
- Crack 2 eggs into the warm skillet and break the yolks with your spatula. Do not scramble, just break them.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- As the eggs cook, apply 1/2 TBSP butter to one side of each slice of bread.
- Flip the eggs as soon as they’ll stay together (60-90 seconds).
- While cooking the eggs on side 2 add your lunch meat on top of them.
- As soon as the eggs are done to your liking (30-60 seconds) flip them so the meat is on bottom.
- Add cheese on top while the meat heats through a few seconds.
- Pick up the meat, egg, cheese combo with your spatula and place 1 slice of buttered bread butter side UP in the skillet. Use spatula to place egg stack onto buttered bread in the skillet, add second bread slice butter DOWN on the cheese. .
- Let this toast for a minute or more checking frequently to get it as toasty as you like. Then flip and toast the other side.
- When the bread is toasted to your preference it’s ready to enjoy. Use caution as the cheese and egg is especially hot and may burn you.
Hopefully you’ll enjoy these as much as we do! Leave a comment and let us know if you try them or any variations you like.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases but it never costs you any more to use these links.